News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/4/2016 12:12:00 PM to 11/4/2016 12:12:27 PM.
Posted on: September 9, 2016
[ARCHIVED] CONSERVE OUR WATER
We don't need a weather report to tell us it's been hot this summer. And, it's also been dry. So dry, in fact, that here in Paulding County we are experiencing severe/extreme drought conditions, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.
Georgia's permanent year-round outdoor watering restrictions allow outdoor watering during the hours between 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. to avoid the hottest part of the day when more evaporation occurs, with certain limited exceptions as set forth in the 2010 Georgia Water Stewardship Act.
Here are some things all of us can do:
- Use a rain gauge to determine how much it has rained over the week before watering outdoor plants.
- Water in several short sessions instead of one long session. This reduces runoff and allows water to infiltrate into soil and plant roots.
- Water lawns only when needed. If the blades of grass don't bounce back after walking across the lawn, it is time to water. More plants die from over watering than under watering.
- Water in the early morning and late evening.
- Check and fix leaks inside and outside the home.
- Shorten showers and turn off water when shaving or brushing teeth.
- Run dishwashers and washing machines only when you have full loads.
For more information, contact your water supplier:
- Paulding County Water System: 770-222-6868
- City of Dallas: 770-443-8110
- City of Hiram: 770-943-3726Additional Info...